Fish scared by lights and aggressive gourami

What fish can be kept with your current fish. Want fish ID'd? This is the place to post.

Fish scared by lights and aggressive gourami

Postby xbb » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi
Return to forum after many years away. Hoping I can get help with a couple of questions.
Cycled a new fish tank over a 5 week period recently with no fish using some pure ammonia that I sourced from a friend who works in a hospital. 2' x 1' x 1' (41 liters of water). No problems and got confirmation from local fish shop that Temp, PH, GH, Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels are all good.
Stocked tank with 5 x black neon tetras. My first question is these fish seem to be very scared of the lights. When light off they swim around happily in a school. Lights on they duck for cover into a hollow log or go to corner and tread water and look they are gasping. One did towards end of week 1.
Two weeks later I add 2 male flame gourami. Fish shop advised they are better in pairs. One is slightly bigger than the other and continually chases the smaller one around the tank. should I be worried by this and is there anything I can do about it. Perhaps change out the bully for another one or will they settle down? Do fish feel fear?
Got a lot of useful help way back when on the forums before. Hope you don't mind my first post back is asking for help.
Cheers
xbb

Return to General Tropical Keeping